U-10 Developmental Pool Guidelines
January 8, 2008
This program is to provide additional training to those players with the desire and commitment to become better players. Not to provide an atmosphere of superiority or exclusiveness for certain players based on anything other than that. NYS will also err on the side of caution when it comes to protecting the overall experience for the majority of the pool and not be swayed by any special interests.
1. Structure: The U-10 Developmental Pool and associated teams remain under the direction of the U-9/10 developmental age bracket.
2. Player participation in recreation program: All Developmental Pool players must meet the mandatory attendance obligation to play and practice with both the Pool and assigned recreation team. Players will be excused from recreation team activities when attending NYS Board approved pool events or due to illness or incapacity to play.
- As this is the pool player’s last season in recreation and because they have been receiving additional coaching these players must be distributed evenly across the 9/10 recreation program as needed to make these teams as equal as possible. For this reason requests for player placement will not be honored unless the Age Director is able to do this in conjunction with evening the teams. Additionally, the distribution should be based upon, at minimum, a stacked rating of the pool players. #1 and #20, for example, should be on the same REC team; #2 and #19 together on another REC team; and so on.
- Recreation team coaches are required to supply the U-9/10 Age Director with an attendance sheet for both Recreation practices and games for all pool players. This will be handed in at the end of each Saturday morning Recreation game.
3. Developmental Pool practice schedules: U-10 pool players are required to participate in the Friday night footskills sessions run by the Director of Coaching after which the pool players will practice for 30 minutes with the U10 Pool coach and a league hired coach.
- Pool players must also participate in their recreational team practice during the fall season.
- Attendance will be taken for Rec Practices and games. Attendance is mandatory.
4. U-10 Developmental Pool coach selection Position is advertised in the NYS newsletter or newspaper. Letter submitted by candidates highlighting their coaching experience, qualifications, training, philosophy, etc. Final selection is determined by the recommendation of the Developmental Committee consisting of the Travel Director(s), Director of Coaching and Player Development, the U-7/8 Age Director and U-9/10 Age Director. Once they agree on a candidate the NYS Board of Directors must approve this selection by a majority vote.
5. Player selection: All U10 players that participated in the U9 Pool the previous season are encouraged to continue with their training. All other U10 players are encouraged to attend footskills each week and speak with the U9/10 Development Age Director and Pool Coach as to when he/she can join the pool. Minimum requirements are three consecutive footskill sessions and the recommendation of the coaching director. At this point commitment to the training is still the main deciding factor. Recreational team coaches are encouraged to recommend footskills to all their players.
6. Player dismissal: Players may be dismissed from the Developmental Pool due to lack of attendance at pool or recreational team practices, games or for disciplinary reasons. To dismiss a player the Pool coach must petition the Developmental Committee, who will bring it before the NYS Board of Directors for approval.
7. Tournament selection: The Developmental Pool squad(s) is/are strongly encouraged to participate in the NYS sponsored annual S.P.I.N. Tournament and will be allowed a number of additional tournaments each season, depending on the size of the pool. The NYS Board of Directors must approve each tournament selected by the Pool coach. Participation in out‑of‑state tournaments is not permitted.
8. Tournament fees: One tournament per season will be paid for by NYS up to an amount equal to the current seasonal maximum contribution given to Competition teams for tournaments. The S.P.I.N tournament does not count towards this allotment. Parents are expected to help work the league run concession stand during the tournament weekend provided it runs one. The pools will pay the fees for additional tournaments with the cost divided equally among the players attending the tournament.
- The U-10 pools run the league concession to help offset the costs associated with Foot Skills training, the additional referee costs and the added NYS-paid coaches assigned to the Pool squads. Manning the concession stand at SPIN is a requirement.
9. Friendly games: A maximum schedule of 6 friendly games per 16 player pool squad, to ensure rule #12 is adhered to, will be allowed per season of which, a maximum of 3 games are allowed to be at home. These games are only to be played with other U10 pool squads from SCD clubs in good standing. Games will only be played with a certified referee in the middle. It is the coach’s responsibility to notify the referee coordinator regarding home game schedule and of game cancellations, in addition to providing the age director the game schedule and player roster for each game.
- The U10 pool coach is required to be at the SCD scheduling meeting prior to the start of the season.
- Since they are the only non-rec teams playing on Breen South South they do not need to check with the field scheduler as they arrange each game. Once each U-10 squad has finished with their game schedules, the U-9/10 Age Director submits to the Field Coordinator for final placement and then it can be seen from the web site.
- To ensure referee coverage pools homes games should be scheduled back to back allowing 1.5 hours per game.
10. Player selection for games and tournaments: Players will be rotated evenly for both friendly games and tournaments. The intent is for all players to participate in the same number of games and tournaments.
11. Uniforms: U-10 Pool Players are required to purchase a NYS BoD approved Pool Shirt, through the NYS Purchasing Director, that is required and only to be used for the friendly games and tournament. It is the responsibility of the U-10 Pool coach to coordinate all Pool Shirt sizing, ordering, and distribution with the NYS Purchasing Director. The only approved socks are the board issued socks provided at the beginning of the season. Non-personalized black shorts are required.
12. Playing time: Each player must play 50% of each game unless unable to do so for injury, illness or disciplinary reasons. 50/50 Play Time rule (SCD and CJSA) states that a player plays 50% of the game time that they are in attendance. Meaning if the player shows up before the 2nd half, they do not get to play the whole second have. They play half the time that they are physically at the game.
13. Exceptions: The Developmental Committee and NYS Board of Directors must approve any exceptions to these guidelines.
14. Registration fees: Standard Recreation registration fee applies in the Fall season.